Job Description: Garbage Collector
Salary: $15.50 per hour
Hours: 6:15am until FINISH (Part-time/Full-time)
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Location: St Catharines
Education: Completion of High School
Experience: No experience required
Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English
- Assist with the collection of garbage, organics, bulk items, yard waste and recycling from residential dwellings, businesses and other facilities;
- Assist with the daily maintenance of records of pick-ups;
- Dispose of collected items in accordance with set policies, procedures and practices;
- Operate compaction equipment at the rear of the truck in a safe manner following all applicable policies and procedures;
- Perform other related duties; and
- Represent Emterra in a professional manner at all times
Work Setting: The Rear Pack Loader (many waste types) is a physically demanding position. The successful candidate will be required to lift items up to 50lbs anywhere from 500-800 times per day from the ground to waist level, while operating handles and levers, at the rear of the truck to compact the collected items. Loaders will share their time working at the rear of the truck or sitting in the cab of the truck completing reports. Loaders work in all types of outdoor environmental conditions including extreme heat and cold, with occasional exposure to unpleasant odours.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Repetitive tasks, physically demanding, heavy lifting, attention to detail, standing for extended periods.
Equipment: Steel Toe shoes are mandatory
Essential Skills: Oral communication, Working with others, Job task planning and organizing
Responsibilities: The Rear Pack Loader is responsible for assisting with the collection and disposal of various types of municipal waste/recycling materials in a safe and efficient manner. He/she must conduct all activities according to the collection schedule, as well as all relevant provincial, municipal and company policies and procedures. The collection of residential garbage is an essential service to municipal residents, businesses and other facilities.